Invited Competition: Awarded the Innovation Award
Zhuguang Elementary school has the ambition to take one step beyond the classic educational facility design and into a concept where students are encouraged to interact and socialize both inside- the academic environment and outside- the social environment. Classic educational facility separates and isolates the diverse functions between administration, staff, teacher-curriculum, classrooms and other pedagogic facilities. Such de-grouping detaches the ultimate purpose of a school: the transmission of knowledge, teaching critical and analytical assessments and fostering creative thinking and “action”. We believe in generating a new model of school assemblage whereby a compactly layered interactive program would encourage and foster interactions and socialization.
Our project intends to weave a closer and more integrated relationship between diverse components: pedagogy, users, program, building, site, and landscape, thereby creating an integral environment, figuratively and literally.
1. Synergy: spatial collaboration of old and new.
2. Heart of the new school: creating a strong identifiable multi-level protected outdoor student social space.
3. Interactive Hubs: Creating opportunities for social interactions outside of classrooms.
4. Clear Hierarchy: Coherent classroom organization by type and by levels.
5. Flexibility: to allow for changes in classroom function and adaptability.